Song: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
Question 1: Don’t you care that we are dying?
- They assume that since they lost control of the world then the world was out of control. That is a bad assumption.
Question 2: Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?
Central Theme: of the 2nd main movement of Mark (4:35-8.26) the establishment of faith;
3 Key groups:
- 1. The disciples: the movement toward faith;
- 2. The opponents: they are the negative picture of faith:
- they see and yet they don’t perceive; they hear and yet don’t understand;
- (they question his actions; accuse him of blasphemy; align him with Beelzebub; Question his authority)
- 3. The suppliants: (13 characters) represent great variety–all under the shadow of death;
- they show all of the ways the world cannot help deal with the shadow of death;
Faith means turning to Jesus in the midst of real needs in the world under the shadow:
Question 3: Who is this?
- They are more afraid than when they were in the storm: